Prep Time: 20 Min
Cook Time: 70 Min
- 1 very large zucchini ( approx. 18” long, 4” diameter)
- 1lb lean ground meat
- ½ an onion
- ½ a bell pepper
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- A pinch or two of cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, black pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 375. Cut the zucchini in half and scoop out the inside of the squash leaving the shell. We scooped out the fiber part with seeds as well as part of the meat, leaving about ¼” wall on the zucchini. Drizzle the insides of the squash with olive oil and bake for 20 minutes.
- While the squash shells are in the oven, start browning your ground meat, when the meat is almost brown, add the onions, diced excess zucchini, and remaining herbs. Cook for another 5-10 minutes. Pull the shells out of the oven and stuff them all as full as possible with the meat mixture. Put the stuffed zucchinis back into the oven and bake for another 30-40 minutes.
- If we had sun dried tomatoes we would definitely have added them, they would be great in this dish.